Former Sunshine Coast Lightning foundation player and two-time premiership winner Caitlin Bassett heads back to the Coast on Saturday with her new club the Giants.
Now based in Sydney, Bassett will face off against her former teammates for the first time.
The Lightning currently lead the Giants by four points on the championship ladder after four rounds.
Here’s how Bassett lines up against new Lightning Goal Shooter, Peace Proscovia.
- With 153 goals so far in 2019, Bassett goes into the match ahead of Proscovia, who is currently sitting on 138.
- Both Bassett and Proscovia are 193cm tall.
- Bassett and Proscovia are both captains of their respective national teams, with Bassett captaining the Australian Diamonds and Proscovia captaining the Ugandan National team.
- Bassett is roughly 1.5 years older than Proscovia. Will age and wisdom help Bassett?
- In the battle of the nicknames, it’s “Cbass” versus “Warid Tower”
In 2018, the Lightning were responsible for ending the Giants’ premiership dreams, going on to beat the West Coast Fever to claim their second premiership in as many years.
When Bassett hits the newly extended USC Stadium, will she face a nostalgic Sunshine Coast home crowd, or will the past be forgotten as she enters now enemy territory?